AAUW is strictly non-partisan, but it does have an attitude. The public policy issues are set with member feedback, including an every member survey.
Maryland Public Policy
- AAUW Maryland’s Public Policy Vice President is Erin Prangley
- SIGN UP FOR AAUW MARYLAND LEGISLATIVE UPDATES BY SENDING YOU EMAIL ADDRESS TO ANITA ROSEN.
- AAUW Maryland’s Public Policy positions are guided by the AAUW Public Policy Program adopted in June 2017.
Maryland AAUW is a member of the Maryland Legislative Agenda for Women (MLAW), a statewide coalition of women’s groups and individuals formed to provide a non-partisan, independent, voice for Maryland women and families. The group advocates for progressive legislation and policy that promotes and protects the well being of Maryland women and their families and provides them opportunities to develop their full potential.
AAUW is also participating in collective advocacy on behalf of Maryland Women and their families as a member of the following coalitions:
- Maryland Women’s Coalition for Health Care Reform.
Bills the Coalition supports.
- Maryland Health Care for All! Coalition
- MCASA- Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
It’s legislative agenda.
For more than a century, AAUW has influenced legislative debate on critical issues such as education, Social Security, sex discrimination, civil rights, reproductive choice, affirmative action, Title IX, welfare reform, vocational education, pay equity, family and medical leave, and health care reform.
Advocacy is about AAUW members and all citizens concerned with equality and being knowledgeable and aware of the current status of important issues. AAUW compiles current information and resources for as many issues as possible to provide central issue pages that offer the freshest information and most effective avenues for action on issues important to you.
Public Policy Resources for Branches
- AAUW Public Policy Program adopted June 2015
- AAUW on the Issues – Offers the freshest information and most effective avenues for action on issues important to you.
- Two-Minute Activist – Interactive resource for speaking out about today’s hot issue.
- Voter Education Campaign – Election year campaigns to educate women voters on critical issues and encourage them to register and vote.
The AAUW Capitol Hill Lobby Corps – AAUW relies on the Capitol Hill Lobby Corps to effectively promote AAUW’s public policy program by actively lobbying federal policy makers. They advance AAUW’s mission of equity and education for all women and girls. Since 1972, the Lobby Corps has visited tens of thousands of congressinal offices. Members lobby every Thursday morning when Congress is in session. New Lobby Corps members are paired with experienced members, allowing time for new members to comfortably improve their skills. If you are interested in learning more about the Lobby Corps, visit the Lobby Corps page or email VoterEd@aauw.org